Friday, June 14, 2013

Assignment #1: Sarah's Key

Today I'm giving you two blogs and who doesn't like two for one!  Next Tuesday is a big day for me and my book groups.  It is the first time in years that I'll be leading a summer discussion group, and even more terrifying, its the first time a few students will be joining the faculty and staff group.  This is one of those moments I've confessed to before, I'm nervous, and excited!  (See clip from Armageddon below, I totally get Owen Wilson here)

 
So here's the deal if you want to join us and follow along, please do.  We are reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay.  I actually read the book after a referral from a friend and was then excited that my students selected it this past fall as one of their selections.  When I noticed I had enough books left over I made the suggestion to my faculty and staff that we could read it this summer, and of course they were in. 

Sarah's Key is a great book that examines how two different women's lives intertwine in Paris, one in July 1942 the other in 2002.  This is one of those books that reminds me why I chose to study History in college but also fell into my second degree with English Literature.  I'm always drawn to stories from the Holocaust and how it touches so many lives both then, and now.  Some stories from our history aren't easy or comfortable to read, but I'm a big believer that it is important to learn about them.  They remind us how important it is to be kind to each other and not make the same mistakes again. (I'm stepping off my soapbox now.) 

So if you would like to join us, the reading assignment for the next four weeks is below.  I'd love to hear your feedback, questions, or comments for me or the group.

June 18         1 - 17
June 25      74 - 146
July 2        147 - 220
July 9        221 - 293

Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment