Friday, July 19, 2013

Chapter 5: Creating Tasks

There is something incredibly fun about working with faculty and staff and leading them in a book group setting.  I think it's a bit of that whole, "the student becomes the master" thing.  Not saying I'm better or smarter, because I can promise you, on a regular basis I'm reminded how awesome the faculty and staff on our campus are.   Having said that, I love giving them assignments, because I just love seeing those smarts come out.  I mean these people are great, funny, and smart and that is why giving them assignments have become my mission for every book we do.  As you saw last week their assignment last week was to do something kind for someone on Tuesday in honor of the victims of the Vel d'Hiv.  As a result people made donations to students needing help to get back to graduate school, donations were made, and I was even the recipient of a yummy apple pie.

When we read Atul Gawande's The Checklist Manifesto there was a great deal of discussion about bucket lists so one of the things I asked them to do was share with me some of those items.  I dare you to read it and not be impressed or not want to update your own personal Bucket List.  It's a good little list and it again reminds me of what an interesting group of faculty and staff that I'm surrounded and inspired by.  If you haven't had a chance to read The Checklist Manifesto I really encourage it.  As a list maker myself I loved it and it was one of the books that our group really liked.


I've already mentioned the impact that Gretchen Ruben's book, The Happiness Project, had on me as being the initial kick start for me in writing this blog.  Now let me say this.  This was one of those books that the group just loved to hate.  And hate is a very strong word, but you get the idea.  They would complain about certain aspects of the book, but then with a guilty look talk about how they had done something she had encouraged, or liked something she suggested.  As a moderator who likes to play the devil's advocate, it was a dream, and not a group didn't pass that I didn't go back to my office and kinda giggle about something that had happened that day.  One of the things Gretchen mentions in her book was about her "12 Commandments" and her "Rules of Adulthood".  While the discussion of these lists were earlier in the reading they were often referred to during the remaining part of the book so they were constantly brought back up and on people's minds.  So this was an easy one.  I encouraged them to share with me their "12 Commandments" or their "Rules of Adulthood" which I then combined in one major list.  I still have mine posted on the bulletin board in my office and every now and then I read them, smile, and again am thankful for the shared wisdom of the folks I get to spend time with. 

Just about any book can have a task associated with it no matter how large or small.  This is your opportunity to get folks thinking a bit more intently about the book, what they are reading and the effect it can have on them after the book has been finished and placed back on the shelf. 

Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment