Friday, September 6, 2013

My 2013 - 2014 Reading List

Gracious, I can't believe it's been two weeks since I last blogged.  Things are finally getting back to a normal busy around here and we are settling into the rhythm of classes and football season here.  Which for me means that I have to get on my reading for my different groups I lead and man, my list has grown a bit this year.  I kinda volunteered to read the books that the student organization (the off shoot of the freshman group) are reading this year too.  But let's be honest, it's mainly because they picked some books that I've wanted to read anyway.

So what I've decided to do is share all the books that I'll be reading for "work" this year so should you want to check back for discussion questions or just to get my humble opinion of the books you can!  So here we go:

As you know my Faculty/Staff group will be reading Quiet by Susan Cain this fall, but this spring we'll also be reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

My Freshman Student Group will be reading:
September 16: There is No Dog - Meg Rosoff
October 21: Lifemobile - Jonathan Rintels
November 18: The Cradle - Patrick Somerville
February 10: The Personal History of Rachel Dupree - Ann Weisgarber
March 24: Serena - Ron Rash
April 21: The Universe Versus Alex Wood - Gavin Extence

And the Student Organization will be reading:
September 17 : Maine- J. Courtney Sullivan
October 29: Winter Girls- Laurie Halse Anderson
November 19: Casual Vacancy - J.K Rowling
January 21:  We the Animals- Justin Torres
January 21:  Untold Story- Monica Ali
February 18: Girls in White Dresses- Jennifer Close
March 25:  The Ocean at the End of the Lane- Neil Gaiman

April 21: The Universe Versus Alex Wood -Gavin Extence

This fall I'm also going to work with some other campus entities to do a campus event tied to the book and the new upcoming movie 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup.  But more on that later......

Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment