Friday, September 13, 2013

Quiet pages xi - 33 reading questions

I love when I read a book and I totally think I know where I stand on a subject only to be totally wrong.  Well, Quiet has done that for me.  If you would ask anyone I know or even me for that matter, I would tell you without a doubt that I was an extrovert.  Boy, was I wrong.  After reading just 33 pages I've come to see that I actually identify more with the introverts of the world that I do the extroverts.  So I have a feeling this is going to be a good book for me to learn new things about myself!  

I hope you are enjoying the book and learning new things about yourself, your students, family, and co-workers.

Magpie

On page 2 Cain asks the reader: "What else can quiet do that we don't give it credit for?"  

At the top of page 3 Cain gives a few brief examples of things that introverts and extroverts are likely to do.  Do you agree/disagree?

Have you discussed the book and the subject matter with others?  What was their reaction?  Are you tempted to give them the book to test themselves?

Do you feel we often make people conform to be an extrovert?  How? Why?

Do you see people in your workplace pushed into a more extroverted personality?  Are the parties who have changed rewarded for changing their ways?  Do you even find yourself pushing others or yourself to be more extroverted?  

Again, on pages 10 and 11 more examples of the two groups are given.  Do you find yourself beginning to question who/how you have always been?

Based on the quiz on pages 13 and 14, do you think you're an introvert, an extrovert, or an ambivert?  Are you an introvert in some situations and an extrovert in others?  What about other people in your life?

Cain spends a great deal of time discussing the changes that occur after the turn of the century leading the US in particular to being more of an extroverted society due to technology, travel, advertisements, etc.  Do you think we will ever see a shift back to a time when introversion will be more rewarded and appreciated?  

As the book continues, do you think Cain will discuss how a person's birth order plays a role in their development in becoming and Intro/Extrovert?

No comments:

Post a Comment