Friday, September 27, 2013

Quiet pages 34-96 reading questions

One of the hardest things about doing one book a semester with my faculty and staff is dividing up a books chapters while keeping the reading to a minimum.  I didn't realize that this was one of the larger reading sections till I sat down to do the reading.  The best part, everyone else in the group did the same thing.  The silver lining.... it was such a good bunch of reading for this week's assignments.  I found myself having more thoughts and ideas than I did questions.  Which sometimes happens.  I'm going to do my best to share with you some of the questions I had before, during and after we met this week. 

Have a great weekend,
Magpie

Page 35 had one of those laugh out loud moments of the book for me.  I had the mental image of Susan avoiding the hi-five at the door and knew that moment so well from my own life.   Have you ever avoided a forced moment like that in your life? 

On page 38 Cain explains how the meeting exercise implies that every "encounter" is a high stakes game in which we win or lose the other persons favor, is this true?  Is it okay to be the kind of person when meeting someone new is meek and mild?  Is it okay to be the kind of person that is overly gregarious when meeting new people?

Was Tony Robbins as a salesman the best example to give?

Why do we so often equate leadership with hyperextroversion?

If you are an introvert, do you consider yourself a "bitter introvert" like Don Chen?

Has Harvard made extroversion their version of teaching to the test? 

Does Harvard push their students to succeed or simply be in the "in" crowd?

How do you see yourself or others trying to gain control of being social by using social media outlets?

Do team events or situations push introverts to succeed or at least be inspired by their surrounds?

Do you often see verbal abilities rewarded in your workplace over originality or insight?

Does electronic brain storming work because it still allows participants to be isolated?

Do you think your job suits your temperament?  If not, what could you do to change things?

As a result of what you have read what changes are you making with family, friends, colleagues, or students?

No comments:

Post a Comment